Infection / Destruction / Hope

The 3rd and final Morningstar Saga book, SURVIVORS, is now available for pre-order here!

The Morningstar Saga
Register  |   |   |  Latest Topics
 
 
 


Reply
  Author   Comment   Page 1 of 2      1   2   Next
Livy

Avatar / Picture

Trooper
Registered:
Posts: 572
Reply with quote  #1 


Theres a lot of people in this world who have very low morals and values, but are kept in check by the system. If the SHTF and we are living in a PAW these people will have nothing keeping them from doing the worst possible things.

Peadophiles, rapists, sick fiends who are in to all sorts of depravity will be able to run wild. If you were in a PAW and noticed early signs of this from new comers, even people in your group what would you do?

Tackle it verbally, hoping to keep him/her in line through domination?

Cast them out and allow the possibility of them meeting more of their sort creating a gang or even doing there horrific deeds on innocents?

Or blast the fools in the dome and leave them for the crows to deal with?


After watching "The Walking Dead" it brought a sign of this with the red neck having the white pride bollocks and trying to take control through brute force. Maybe Im a wrong , but Id have shot him dead.

__________________
InstigatorNine

Avatar / Picture

Carrier Chow
Registered:
Posts: 146
Reply with quote  #2 

Crow food for sure. If the situation is that grim there is no way I'd be watching my back from people in the same camp as me. In a cold practical sense you can't afford to keep him if he's that willing to draw a gun on his own people. Especially if you are surrounded by a greater threat at the time.

Did you ever read Earth Abides written in the 1940's by George R Stewart? Old and dated but not a bad read. A plague coupled with mass transit wipes out somewhere around 99% of the population on planet earth. The characters have some interesting debates while rebuilding a system of justice. If you are down to a small and fragile population (like ten people) would you really want to wait for someone to be raped or killed? Would you really have time to wait for the village bad boy to go off?

Scarred_Prince

Carrier Chow
Registered:
Posts: 39
Reply with quote  #3 
Quote:
Originally Posted by InstigatorNine

Crow food for sure. If the situation is that grim there is no way I'd be watching my back from people in the same camp as me. In a cold practical sense you can't afford to keep him if he's that willing to draw a gun on his own people. Especially if you are surrounded by a greater threat at the time.

Did you ever read Earth Abides written in the 1940's by George R Stewart? Old and dated but not a bad read. A plague coupled with mass transit wipes out somewhere around 99% of the population on planet earth. The characters have some interesting debates while rebuilding a system of justice. If you are down to a small and fragile population (like ten people) would you really want to wait for someone to be raped or killed? Would you really have time to wait for the village bad boy to go off?



This, i have a family and if i had even the smallest hint that the above would happen id kill whoever is need to.

__________________
I'm more of a self preservation guy then someone who will risk his life for someone he doesn't know in a PAW scenario.
Livy

Avatar / Picture

Trooper
Registered:
Posts: 572
Reply with quote  #4 
You both have the same line of thought as my self. It appears from all the PAW scenarios that compassion can lead to your own death and a grizzly one at that.

I'll have a look in to that book Instigator.


__________________
Raccoon_City_Survivor

Avatar / Picture

Snoogans
Registered:
Posts: 8,527
Reply with quote  #5 

Have gun, will protect.


__________________
< agrees to ^

John_Brian_K

Avatar / Picture

Post-Accumulating Whore
Registered:
Posts: 2,750
Reply with quote  #6 
Yeah I get where Rick was coming from in wanting to go back, but personally I would have left him.  Like you said someone that is willing to pull a gun on their own when you are surrounded by the dead doesnt deserve to be in my camp.

It would have to be EXTREME situations though.  I could sleep at night if there was even a sliver of a possibility that I made the wrong decision.  Basically it would have to be a no brainer.  Kind of like the show and the redneck!

__________________
====
JBK
Dec 09, 2009 at 10:18 AM
========================
"Something my granddad used to tell us. You know Macumba? Voodoo. My granddad was a priest in Trinidad. He used to tell us, "When there's no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth."
nierahzee

Avatar / Picture

Postmortem Communications
Registered:
Posts: 1,126
Reply with quote  #7 
I view it like this...  Once civilization breaks down, you've got a very clear barter system going on that trumps everything else.  That's the system of doing right by others.  Call it favors or karma or whatever you want to, it boils down to the same things really.  It can be seen in the justice system put into place in World War Z and even the attitudes most people adopt in these stories or even us talking about it.

When the only thing that's left that you can depend on is other people, screwing people over becomes just about the worst crime you could commit.  Whether you're screwing over the sudden minority on the planet (humanity) through raping, murdering, racism, all around dickery or whatever...  You've just become Public Enemy #2, right behind the zombies themselves.

Glen says in The Walking Dead, when asked by Rick why he saved him, "I dunno, I guess I'm stupid, but I sort of hope if I'm ever stuck in a bad situation like that someone will help me out too."  Or something to that effect.  I bet I don't have to ask, but how many of us would bust our ass to save Glen?  I'm guessing close to all of us.  However, flip the script and look at Dixon, who decides to be an all around racist dick and beat the ever living crap out of someone to prove how bad ass he is...  I'm guessing very few of us would go back for him like Rick decides to do with Dixon's brother, even if his crazy brother is waving around a crossbow in our faces.

Those of us trying to build some sort of new civilization are probably going to try and shame people into shaping up, but if we're not even at that point?  You better hope you have some amazing skills the group can't do without that you can do with a swollen eye and busted dick or you're vulture chow.

Until it's time to rebuild, I will become a monster if I have to to protect those I love and those who just plain deserve to be protected.  Luckily, in a situation like that, it's typically not too hard to tell who those people are.  (Butt heads tend to stand tall and proud, heh heh heh heh.)


__________________
"Old necromancers never die."
RedneckZombieHunter

Avatar / Picture

Rated "R" as in Anti-AR ;~)
Registered:
Posts: 2,727
Reply with quote  #8 
Redneck? Hey!! We're not all racist assholes!!!

Oh, back to the question, their crow food. Examples: Dick with the boat, dod04? crow food, EVERYBODY WORKS/ kicks in, Call it the "Redneck NWO" get with the program numbnuts or get left behind. Coked up redneck would have been z bait hanging off the side of the building kicking and screaming drawing the z's off. I would have let him keep the coke though. Told yall I was a bad guy. I'll do whatever to safeguard my friends and family. redneck Brother would be crow food too.

__________________
We're consumers. We are by-products of a lifestyle obsession. Murder, crime, poverty, these things don't concern me. What concerns me are celebrity magazines, television with 500 channels, some guy's name on my underwear. Rogaine, Viagra, Olestra."
Better THEM, than Me!-The only person who could miss with this gun is the sucker with the bread to buy it...... You don't got to be Stonewall Jackson to know you dont want to fight in a GD basement. Just a reminder, Tuesday is Soylent Green day!
Nurgle

Avatar / Picture

Veteran
Registered:
Posts: 1,120
Reply with quote  #9 

Be ruthless because nobody is gonna watch out for u and yours but yourself.


__________________
Livy

Avatar / Picture

Trooper
Registered:
Posts: 572
Reply with quote  #10 
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedneckZombieHunter
Redneck? Hey!! We're not all racist assholes!!!

Oh, back to the question, their crow food. Examples: Dick with the boat, dod04? crow food, EVERYBODY WORKS/ kicks in, Call it the "Redneck NWO" get with the program numbnuts or get left behind. Coked up redneck would have been z bait hanging off the side of the building kicking and screaming drawing the z's off. I would have let him keep the coke though. Told yall I was a bad guy. I'll do whatever to safeguard my friends and family. redneck Brother would be crow food too.


MY appoligies RZH, i couldnt remember his name so went with that term

With TWD Id off tossed him over the edge, the feeding frenzy would have given a distraction. Iv not seen the 3rd episode yet, except a clip which showed the brother kicking off with a cross bow, Id of popped up and put one in his dome aswell.

__________________
RedneckZombieHunter

Avatar / Picture

Rated "R" as in Anti-AR ;~)
Registered:
Posts: 2,727
Reply with quote  #11 

No Prob Livy! He was the stereotype, just like the black guy was.


__________________
We're consumers. We are by-products of a lifestyle obsession. Murder, crime, poverty, these things don't concern me. What concerns me are celebrity magazines, television with 500 channels, some guy's name on my underwear. Rogaine, Viagra, Olestra."
Better THEM, than Me!-The only person who could miss with this gun is the sucker with the bread to buy it...... You don't got to be Stonewall Jackson to know you dont want to fight in a GD basement. Just a reminder, Tuesday is Soylent Green day!
YT

Avatar / Picture

Carrier Chow
Registered:
Posts: 79
Reply with quote  #12 
Well I guess for me, it would depend. As I was mollested as a child, a pedophile would get no sympathy for me. They'd be cuffed to a tree as distraction from roamers, same as a rapist.

My father is a racist, its not something anyone is proud of in the family, but its just how he is. He's not a bigot, if that makes sense. It mostly comes to the fore when he's angry about something really. He's worked with people of races other than ours, even been friends with them but he'll still bust out the slurs when something is making him angry.

I guess it would depend on the level of racism, if it was dangerous then it'd need to be nipped in the bud. If it just comes out in words, I let the offender and the offended deal with it. I've been called a lot of things, I didn't know "cracka" was a racial slur until I was in my 20s. I would always ask people, "Is that a Zesta cracker, or saltine?"

I had a comedian once sum up my views on racism, "Racism is stupid, there's so many great reasons to hate people on an INDIVIDUAL level."



John_Brian_K

Avatar / Picture

Post-Accumulating Whore
Registered:
Posts: 2,750
Reply with quote  #13 

Quote:
Originally Posted by YT
Well I guess for me, it would depend. As I was mollested as a child, a pedophile would get no sympathy for me. They'd be cuffed to a tree as distraction from roamers, same as a rapist.

My father is a racist, its not something anyone is proud of in the family, but its just how he is. He's not a bigot, if that makes sense. It mostly comes to the fore when he's angry about something really. He's worked with people of races other than ours, even been friends with them but he'll still bust out the slurs when something is making him angry.

I guess it would depend on the level of racism, if it was dangerous then it'd need to be nipped in the bud. If it just comes out in words, I let the offender and the offended deal with it. I've been called a lot of things, I didn't know "cracka" was a racial slur until I was in my 20s. I would always ask people, "Is that a Zesta cracker, or saltine?"

I had a comedian once sum up my views on racism, "Racism is stupid, there's so many great reasons to hate people on an INDIVIDUAL level."



Sorry about your childhood YT.  Child molestors get no sympathy from me.  In fact I have a program set up that prints out a list of pedophiles and the charge severity along with pictures, addresses etc.  I base it on a radius to a persons home.  The online sites are not intuitive ENOUGH IMO so I took it a little further and jazed up a printout.  There is one building (not really close to my house, but in the same city) that is an apartment building which has like 6 of them living in it.

I am fairly certain my father is a bigot or prejudice at the least (he just turned 73) he makes comments sometimes that kind of make us all go 'ooooh' you know?

He is much better now after he retired (about 9 years ago)

That last line of your is funny and right on BTW!

__________________
====
JBK
Dec 09, 2009 at 10:18 AM
========================
"Something my granddad used to tell us. You know Macumba? Voodoo. My granddad was a priest in Trinidad. He used to tell us, "When there's no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth."
Livy

Avatar / Picture

Trooper
Registered:
Posts: 572
Reply with quote  #14 
O/T, but JBK is that legal in America what you do?

I work with victims of abuse and there has been campaigns "Sarah's Law"  for sex offenders details to be made public, but the Government keeps it quiet. How easy is it to get details in your state?


__________________
John_Brian_K

Avatar / Picture

Post-Accumulating Whore
Registered:
Posts: 2,750
Reply with quote  #15 
I live in Michigan and you can go here:

http://www.mipsor.state.mi.us/

And type in a few details about what area you want to look in and you get whatever you want including pictures!  I actually jazzed THAT up to make it more uers friendly.

__________________
====
JBK
Dec 09, 2009 at 10:18 AM
========================
"Something my granddad used to tell us. You know Macumba? Voodoo. My granddad was a priest in Trinidad. He used to tell us, "When there's no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth."
John_Brian_K

Avatar / Picture

Post-Accumulating Whore
Registered:
Posts: 2,750
Reply with quote  #16 
And yeah all perfectly legal.
__________________
====
JBK
Dec 09, 2009 at 10:18 AM
========================
"Something my granddad used to tell us. You know Macumba? Voodoo. My granddad was a priest in Trinidad. He used to tell us, "When there's no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth."
Livy

Avatar / Picture

Trooper
Registered:
Posts: 572
Reply with quote  #17 
Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Brian_K
I live in Michigan and you can go here:

http://www.mipsor.state.mi.us/

And type in a few details about what area you want to look in and you get whatever you want including pictures!  I actually jazzed THAT up to make it more uers friendly.


Is there any sort of vigilante behaviour towards the nonses when their details become public?

__________________
nierahzee

Avatar / Picture

Postmortem Communications
Registered:
Posts: 1,126
Reply with quote  #18 
Same here in Illinois, I don't recall the site, but it's required they give that information by law.  They basically lose a portion of their right to privacy upon being convicted of a sex crime.

__________________
"Old necromancers never die."
John_Brian_K

Avatar / Picture

Post-Accumulating Whore
Registered:
Posts: 2,750
Reply with quote  #19 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livy
Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Brian_K
I live in Michigan and you can go here:

http://www.mipsor.state.mi.us/

And type in a few details about what area you want to look in and you get whatever you want including pictures!  I actually jazzed THAT up to make it more uers friendly.


Is there any sort of vigilante behaviour towards the nonses when their details become public?

Maybe, but nothing that ever makes the news really...


__________________
====
JBK
Dec 09, 2009 at 10:18 AM
========================
"Something my granddad used to tell us. You know Macumba? Voodoo. My granddad was a priest in Trinidad. He used to tell us, "When there's no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth."
Livy

Avatar / Picture

Trooper
Registered:
Posts: 572
Reply with quote  #20 
It seems the UK could learn a thing or two from our American cousins. Our justice system currently houses peadophiles next to schools, in houses consisting of 3 - 4 together. They get total anonimity and the amount of them in Edinburgh alone is scary. I used to work with kids in residential care and had to do back ground checks on associates of the kids and amount who came back with sex offences was staggering.

__________________
Livy

Avatar / Picture

Trooper
Registered:
Posts: 572
Reply with quote  #21 
Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Brian_K

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livy
Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Brian_K
I live in Michigan and you can go here:

http://www.mipsor.state.mi.us/

And type in a few details about what area you want to look in and you get whatever you want including pictures!  I actually jazzed THAT up to make it more uers friendly.


Is there any sort of vigilante behaviour towards the nonses when their details become public?

Maybe, but nothing that ever makes the news really...



Good.

__________________
John_Brian_K

Avatar / Picture

Post-Accumulating Whore
Registered:
Posts: 2,750
Reply with quote  #22 
If you are ever in Michigan and Dearborn, MI specifically stay away from a place that looks like this:



__________________
====
JBK
Dec 09, 2009 at 10:18 AM
========================
"Something my granddad used to tell us. You know Macumba? Voodoo. My granddad was a priest in Trinidad. He used to tell us, "When there's no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth."
Livy

Avatar / Picture

Trooper
Registered:
Posts: 572
Reply with quote  #23 
Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Brian_K
If you are ever in Michigan and Dearborn, MI specifically stay away from a place that looks like this:




That looks a really nice build, tell me its not full of beasts?

__________________
jake1100

Avatar / Picture

Veteran
Registered:
Posts: 1,451
Reply with quote  #24 
Its really easy to find sex offenders, but the downside is theres certain things that will give you that label that arnt as bad as the ones listed, a guy i used to know is labeled one because he was 18 and got caught with a 17 year old girl, and someone at my school is now one for streaking at a foot ball game. And theyre in the same boat as rapists,  child molesters , and all the other sick fucks out there for the rest of their lives.
__________________
"Legal" and "illegal" are fuzzy gray areas for me.

I go with "moral" and "immoral" instead. Those are usually pretty clear-cut.

-Z
YT

Avatar / Picture

Carrier Chow
Registered:
Posts: 79
Reply with quote  #25 
Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Brian_K
If you are ever in Michigan and Dearborn, MI specifically stay away from a place that looks like this:




Why?
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print
Reply

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.